|Item#||Name||Size & Form||Brand||Price||Retail||Actions|
Best MSM Powder supplies Lignisul® MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), a naturally-occuring source of organic sulfur that is easily absorbed and used by the body. MSM occurs throughout nature as part of the global "sulfur cycle." Formed in the upper atmosphere, MSM falls to earth in rain water and is then absorbed from the soil by plant life. MSM found in foods such as fresh picked fruits and vegetables is largely lost during food processing, storage and cooking. This makes it difficult to obtain substantial amounts of MSM from dietary sources.
MSM supports organ and joint function by donating sulfur for maintenance of healthy connective tissue. MSM helps keep skin, hair and nails healthy by donating sulfur for products of keratin, a fibrous protein. Supports joint function.
The MSM Story-One of Nature's Primary Sources of Organic Dietary Sulfur!
The human body requires a continuous supply of usable sulfur, and MSM is one of the primary organic sulfur-containing molecules for use by living organisms. From life's earliest beginnings, primitive marine organisms (blue-green algae and phytoplankton) have absorbed inorganic sulfur from ocean waters and produced organic sulfur molecules, primarily dimethyl sulfonium salts. These salts are released back into the sea, where they are converted to dimethyl sulfide, which readily evaporates, ending up in the upper atmosphere. Dimethyl sulfide is then oxidized by UV light, forming DMSO and MSM. The two compounds are delivered to land masses in rain water, and absorbed by plants. MSM is a stable end-product of this process, and thus serves as a primary source of sulfur in the food chain.
Though present on earth since before life appeared on dry land, and known to science since the 1950's, MSM has only recently been recognized as having importance in human nutrition.
Why the Human Body Needs MSM
MSM occurs naturally in the blood, body fluids and tissues. It is now believed that a minimum MSM concentration of 0.2 parts per million is necessary for the body to function normally. MSM may be the most easily absorbed and non-toxic source of nutritional sulfur occurring in nature.Sulfur is a structural mineral that maintains the strength of various tissues by forming sulfur "tie-bars" (sulfhydryl bonds) between connective tissue proteins. MSM serves as a readily available source of sulfur for this function, and thus helps maintain the pliancy of tissues and cell membranes. Repair of damaged tissue depends upon a supply of sulfur for continuation of reactions involving sulfhydryl groups (-SH). Sulfur is required for the maintenance of healthy hair, skin and nails. In view of the presence of MSM in biological systems since the beginning of evolution, it is logical to assume that all higher life forms, including humans and animals, are well adapted to use MSM as a sulfur donor.
Clinical research on the role of MSM in the human body has culminated in the filing of several patents covering numerous uses for MSM as a dietary ingredient for both humans and animals. As a result of these investigations, it is believed that physical and psychological stress increases in the human body when the MSM concentration falls below minimum levels, resulting in a loss of normal organ function.
Based on observations, ingestion of MSM by humans has the following beneficial effects:
• MSM supports maintenance of strong, healthy body tissues by donating sulfur for formation of sulfur tie-bars between connective tissue proteins.*
• MSM supports normal gastrointestinal function.*
• MSM improves the body's resistance to adverse physical stress.*
• MSM supports mental alertness and maintenance of healthy mood.*
• MSM promotes the body's processes that heal tissue.*
• MSM helps modify the physiologic response to allergens.*
• MSM supports normal lung function.*
• MSM supports normal relaxation of muscles.*
• MSM supports normal joint function.*
• MSM helps maintain healthy skin.*
Supplementation is Needed to Realize the Benefits of MSM
Widespread in nature, MSM is found in a variety of foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables, raw milk, raw meat and raw fish. However, MSM is a volatile substance easily lost during cooking, pasteurization, food processing and storage. The average American diet thus supplies at best a marginal MSM intake, which may be inadequate to maintain the optimum MSM concentration in the body. The body's MSM concentration is also believed to decline with increasing age.
Effective dosages for the various reported uses of MSM range from 500 mg to 6 grams per day. 1000 mg per day is recommended to restore normal MSM concentrations, while higher doses may be necessary for specific uses.MSM is considered to be as non-toxic to the body as water, and is therefore completely safe at the higher dosage levels.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Scientific Abstracts and References
1. Jacob, S., Herschler, R. Introductory remarks: dimethyl sulfoxide after 20 years. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1983; 411:xiii-xvii.
2. Herschler, R. Dietary and pharmaceutical uses of methylsulfonylmethane and compositions comprising it. United States Patent 4,514,421; April 30, 1985.
3. Herschler, R. Methylsulfonylmethane in dietary products. United States Patent 4,616,039; October 7, 1986.
4. Sellnow, L. MSM: An Aid From Nature. The Blood Horse, June 6, 1987:3459-3462.
5. Lawrence, R.M. Methyl-sulfonylmethane (M.S.M.) A double-blind study of its use in degenerative arthritis. International Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine 1998;1(1):50
6. Jacob, S.W., Lawrence, R.M., Zucker, M. 1999. The Miracle of MSM. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Prices are subject to change at anytime and without notice. The majority of the product information has been reprinted from the manufacturer.