|Item#||Name||Size & Form||Brand||Price||Retail||Actions|
Best Multiple provides the full range of vitamins and minerals proven essential for human metabolism, excluding iron, which for safety reasons must be taken separately. Clinical trials and other scientific studies strongly support the need to supplement the diet with these ORTHO1 nutrients, to optimize health and to maintain long-term well-being. This formulation is optimized to deliver the most nutritionally effective forms of these nutrients.
Best Multiple has unique positive features not found together in other multiple vitamin-mineral supplements:
• Provides optimal nutrient allowances in just 3 capsules per day. Multiples that recommend taking one or two capsules a day cannot squeeze sufficient amounts into this small mass, and often take “shortcuts”.
• Avoids common “shortcuts” that compromise product quality. For example, it avoids providing magnesium as magnesium oxide, which is known to be poorly absorbed.2
• Unique source for potent plant vitamin D3. Our Vitashine D3 is organically prepared from a sustainable plant source and certified by the prestigious UK Vegan Society.
• Supplies B vitamins in their best-utilized forms. Most multiples use B vitamin forms (“vitamers”) that are poorly utilized. This formulation does not compromise.3
• Omits synthetic folic acid. This artificial folate is poorly utilized compared to other folate vitamers. This formulation supplies fully active folate.
• Ensures Vitamin B12 fully active for dietary repletion. Virtually all multiples provide insufficient vitamin B12. This formulation provides 1000 micrograms of fully active B12 to help ensure excellent absorption.4
The many vitamins, essential minerals and other important nutrients in Best Multiple include:
Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate).5 This nutrient is crucial for the integrity of the delicate cell layers (epithelia) that line the intestinal tract, lungs, and sinuses. Vitamin A is also crucial for healthy embryonic development, and for the eye to function. It also facilitates the body’s capacity to produce antibodies and new immune cells. The retinyl palmitate in this formulation is identical to the molecule that the body uses to transport vitamin A in the bloodstream. Beta-carotene is omitted, as a result of being an unreliable vitamin A source.6
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid).7 This is a potent antioxidant against “free radicals” and other toxins, and helps conserve glutathione, vitamin E, and other protective nutrients. It is also an essential cofactor for various enzymes that make brain transmitters, manage the body’s liver detoxification systems, and synthesize collagen molecules that strengthen the body’s many connective tissues. Vitamin C is also fundamental to healthy immunity.
Vitamin D (as D3, cholecalciferol, plant source). Its importance for bone strength is well established, but D3 is also very important for the body’s other organ systems. This formulation supplies vegan-friendly, fully potent cholecalciferol at a potency that is safe long-term and respects the need for higher D3 intakes to support optimal wellbeing.8
Vitamin E (as alpha, gamma, beta, delta tocopherols). This is the major antioxidant protector for membranes, the most dynamic cell zones.9 It helps protect omega-3s and other fatty acids, phospholipids, and coenzyme Q10 against damage.9 This formulation provides not only alpha-tocopherol but also the gamma-, beta- and delta-tocopherols, to better represent the spectrum of vitamin Es present in foods.10
Vitamin K (as K2, menaquinone-7 or MK-7).8 Beyond its long-established importance for healthy blood coagulation, this vitamin is crucial for healthy calcium metabolism. It is required to hold calcium in bone and to regulate calcium levels in the body’s soft tissues. Vitamin K2 also supports the generation of energy by the mitochondria within our cells.11 The K2 vitamers are more potent than K1, and our menaquinone-7 (MK-7) has the highest measured K2 activity.
Thiamin (“Vitamin B1”) is essential for our cells to make energy and to metabolize amino acids and carbohydrates (including blood glucose).12 Thiamin is especially important for managing the modern high-carbohydrate diet, which has been linked to “high-calorie malnutrition”.13
Riboflavin (“Vitamin B2”) is a cofactor for various mitochondrial enzymes and therefore also essential for the body to make energy.13 It is also essential for our cells to make DNA. Riboflavin is necessary for an enzyme that helps conserve glutathione, the body’s master antioxidant. Riboflavin also supports important enzymes that recycle folate and activate vitamin B6.14
Niacin and Niacinamide (“Vitamin B3”).12 Both these B3 vitamers are metabolically active, but this formulation uses less niacin in order to minimize skin flushing, which though harmless can be troublesome. Niacinamide does not cause flushing, and is readily converted to various activated B3s essential for enzymes that generate and use energy. Vitamin B3 is readily depleted by excessive alcohol intake or by smoking.12
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride and pyridoxal-5-phosphate).12,14 This vitamin is essential for at least 100 enzymes that metabolize amino acids, fatty acids, and carbohydrates. It is particularly vital for the brain’s early development and for its production of various chemical transmitters. Both pyridoxine and pyridoxal-5’-phosphate are well absorbed and well utilized in humans.
Folate (as methyl-tetra-hydro-folate or MTHF, Quatrefolic® brand).3,12,14,15 This vitamin is essential to provide methyl groups, which our cells need for making, repairing and regulating the DNA and the genes (epigenetics).15 The brain especially needs folate to make chemical transmitters, myelin insulation for nerve cells, and melatonin, the body’s major sleep hormone.3 In all the tissues, folate provides methyl to enzymes that manage homocysteine, a normal metabolic that can be toxic if allowed to accumulate. Drinking, smoking, and certain medications can deplete folate. So does a common gene mutation (“C677T”) that impairs the conversion of food folates or folic acid into the body’s most fully active folate (MTHF).16 This formulation provides authentic MTHF to bypass the C677T genetic block.
Vitamin B12 (cobalamin, as methylcobalamin or methyl-B12). B12 works very closely with folate to support methyl metabolism and recycle homocysteine. The body’s B12 absorption tends to decline with age. The methyl-B12 vitamer is particularly well absorbed and utilized. Clinical research proves that this formulation’s generous daily allowance of methyl-B12 makes “sublingual” B12 dosing unnecessary.17
Biotin is built into the molecular structure of at least five enzymes,12,14,18 some of which help regulate DNA structure and gene activity.18 The mitochondria also need biotin to make energy. Biotin deficiency is relatively common—smoking and certain pharmaceuticals can deplete this vitamin, as can pregnancy and breastfeeding.12
Pantothenic acid (as calcium pantothenate, “Vitamin B5”).12 We need this vitamin to make coenzyme A (“CoA”), a fundamental metabolic factor. Our cells use CoA to make amino acids, proteins and hormones, to metabolize fats into useful fatty acids, and to build cell membranes.9 Freezing, canning, and refining deplete this vitamin from foods.12
Calcium and Magnesium. These two essential minerals have a “yin-yang” relationship, each helping to balance the actions of the other. Calcium is relatively abundant in the diet, versus a relative lack of magnesium.19 This formulation therefore supplies more magnesium than calcium, to help ensure a more favorable balance.
Iodine (as potassium iodide).5 This nutrient is an essential component of the thyroid hormones that help regulate our metabolism. Iodine is also used by the immune system as an integral part of its broad array of cell-level defenses.
Zinc (as citrate).5 This mineral is essential for more than 300 enzymes involved in the metabolism of DNA, other nucleic acids, fats, and carbohydrates, also for the key antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. Zinc is essential for healthy pregnancy and childhood growth, sexual maturation, behavior, immunity, skin quality, and hair renewal.
Copper (as glycinate).5 This mineral works with zinc to keep the superoxide dismutase enzyme active. Copper is also essential for the mitochondria to make energy, for the brain to produce certain transmitters, for connective tissue strength, blood vessel formation, and healthy blood coagulation.
Selenium (as sodium selenite). This mineral is required by at least 25 enzymes and other “selenium proteins”.20 Selenium proteins include the glutathione peroxidase enzymes that help protect against oxygen free radicals, and a variety of other enzymes that help regulate gene activity, thyroid hormone production, protein synthesis, cell-to-cell communication, muscle development, and immunity. The sodium selenite in this formulation is hypoallergenic and therefore extremely well tolerated.
Manganese (as glycinate).5 This mineral is essential for another type of superoxide dismutase enzyme, which is located within the mitochondria and helps neutralize oxygen free radicals before they can do harm. Manganese is also used for the metabolism of cholesterol, carbohydrates, and amino acids, and to produce bone matrix components (proteoglycans).
Chromium (as picolinate). This mineral is essential for blood sugar metabolism.5 The chromium picolinate in this formulation is very well absorbed, helps cope with carbohydrate cravings, and supports healthy mood management.21
Molybdenum (as glycinate).5,22 Five enzymes require this mineral to neutralize sulfites and bisulfites, potentially toxic substances that are generated from breathing the common pollutant sulfur dioxide and from the body’s normal sulfur metabolism. These substances are also often sprayed onto foods and added into wines, vinegars, and even medical products. The molybdenum detox enzymes work closely with the body’s antioxidant defenses.22
Potassium (as citrate). This very important electrolyte helps to balance sodium, which typically is very abundant in the diet.
Choline (as bitartrate).12 This vitamin-like nutrient supports the production of acetylcholine, the body’s most abundant nerve transmitter. Each choline molecule carries three methyl groups that can provide important backup for the methyl groups coming from folate and vitamin B12.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These two carotenoid nutrients help protect the retinal tissue of the eye against “free radicals” and other potentially damaging effects generated from light entering the eye. Though not yet proven to be vitamins, lutein and zeaxanthin are known from clinical testing to be very important for human vision.23
Other nutrients in this formulation include boron, which supports calcium and magnesium metabolism, especially for bone health5,24; and silicon, which supports connective tissue and bone integrity.5,24
Best Multiple provides the nutrients that humans absolutely need for healthy metabolism and for healthy renewal, repair, and maintenance of cells, tissues and organs. For best results, adults should take from 3 to a maximum 6 capsules daily, and children ages 9 to 18 should take 1 capsule per 40 pounds of body weight daily (not to exceed 3 capsules per day).
Emotional, chemical, physical, and other stresses of modern living tend to deplete nutrients from the body and effectively increase daily nutritional requirements.22,25 Advancing age is linked to impaired nutrient absorption and utilization. Refining and other processing can lower the nutritional effectiveness of foods.27 Taking Best Multiple daily will help ensure that the body’s needs for its most essential nutrients are fully satisfied.
1. Pauling L. Science 1968;160:265-271.
2. Firoz M, Graber M. Magnesium Res 2001;14:257-262.
3. Kidd PM. Best Fully Active Folate Product Fact Sheet. 2013; San Clemente, CA, USA: Doctor’s Best, Inc., www.drbvitamins.com.
4. Kidd PM. Best Fully Active B12 Product Fact Sheet. 2013; San Clemente, CA, USA: Doctor’s Best, Inc., www.drbvitamins.com.
5. Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes. 2000; National Academies Press. [Includes Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Manganese, Molybdenum, Silicon, and Zinc]
6. Tang G. Am J Clin Nutr 2010:91(suppl):1468S-1473S.
7. Frei B, Birlouez-Aragon I, Lykkesfeldt J. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2012;52:815-829.
8. Kidd PM. Altern Med Rev 2010;15:199-222.
9. Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, others. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 2002;New York: Garland Science/Taylor and Francis.
10. Devaraj S, Leonard S, Traber MG, Jialal I. Free Radic Biol Med 2008;44:1204-1208.
11. Adler MG. J Gen Physiol 2012;140:83-85.
12. Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes. 1998; Washington, DC: National Academies Press. [Includes Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline].
13. Lonsdale D. Subcell Biochem 2012;56:199-227.
14. Ames BN, Elson-Schwab I, Silver EA. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;75:616-658.
15. McGowan PO, Meaney MJ, Szyf M. Brain Res 2008;1237:12-24.
16. Botto LD, Yang Q. Am J Epidemiol 2000;151:862-877.
17. Sharabi A, Cohen E, Sulkes J, Garty M. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003;56:635-638.
18. Zempleni J, Wijeratne SK, Hassan YI. Biofactors 2009;35:36-46.
19. Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes. 1997; Washington, DC: National Academy Press. [Includes Calcium and Magnesium]
20. Hawkes WC, Alkan Z. Biol Trace Elem Res 2010;134:235-251.
21. Docherty JP, Sack DA, Roffman M, others. J Psychiatr Pract 2005;11:302-314.
22. Kidd PM. Best NAC Detox Regulators Product Fact Sheet. 2013; San Clemente, CA, USA: www.drbvitamins.com.
23. Bernstein PS, Delori FC, Richer S, others. Vision Res 2010;50:716-728.
24. Price CT, Langford JR, Liporace FA. The Open Orthopedic Journal 2012;6:143-149.
25. Eskiocak S, Gozen AS, Yapar SB, others. Human Reproduction 2005;20:2595-2600.
26. Ahmed T, Haboubi N. Clinical Interventions in Aging 2010;5:207-216.
27. He M, van Dam RM, Rimm E, others. Circulation 2010;121:2162-2168.
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Prices are subject to change at anytime and without notice. The majority of the product information has been reprinted from the manufacturer.