For nearly 2800 years, the Chinese have used extracts from the Ginkgo biloba tree to treat a variety of conditions. Ginkgo helps promote healthy brain, metabolic, and cardiovascular function (i.e., blood, blood vessels, circulation).150-170 Ginkgo contains numerous antioxidants such as proanthocyanidins and flavonoids that counteract free radical activity. Flavonoids are also known to strengthen capillaries, which can promote healthy blood flow to the brain to help maintain cognitive health.153,158,167
The Japanese premium-quality bio-chemical extract in Super Ginkgo Extract 28/7 has been concentrated and dual-standardized to ensure the highest quality, consistency and biological activity.
• Help maintain normal circulation by dilating blood vessels and reducing the stickiness of blood platelets160,161
• Help maintain the normal function and tone of blood vessels,153 and maintain a normal blood flow150,152,159
• Maintain already normal oxygen and glucose metabolism in the brain154-157
• Maintain normal coagulation of blood161,162
• Reduce tissue damage caused by low blood flow154,161
• Help control radiation-induced brain edemax in vitro163-164
• Help slow the aging process in the brain159,165-168
Ginkgo biloba extract is reputed as a neuroprotective antioxidant agent.169 It is known to protect the energy-producing mitochondria within the cells, thus enhancing oxygen utilization and cellular respiration.
In a study to determine whether ginkgo extract could prevent age-associated cellular changes, the brain and liver mitochondria of old mice fed ginkgo extract in their drinking water was compared to those of young and old control mice. Mitochondria from the rats given ginkgo exhibited significantly less genetic damage, peroxide generation, and oxidation of the crucial antioxidant glutathione than non-supplemented rats. In addition, mitochondria from old rats given the ginkgo extract resembled those of young rats much more closely, being similar in size and morphology. The study concluded that standardized ginkgo extract prevents age-related decline in mitochondrial structure and function by protecting mitochondria from oxidative damage.170
*Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Prices are subject to change at anytime and without notice. The majority of the product information has been reprinted from the manufacturer.