So what's so special about Spirulina in the first place?
- Spirulina contains more nutrition gram per gram than any other product in the World!!! (you might want to read that line twice)
- Nutrition experts and the United States Government recommend that we eat at least 5 – 9 servings of different fruits and vegetables each day
3 grams of Hawaiian Spirulina have the same amount of phytonutrients as 5 servings of fruits and vegetables
- Spirulina has 300% more calcium than whole milk (good for bones, osteoporosis, growth of children)
- Spirulina has 3900% more Beta Carotene than carrots (good for eyes, strong antioxidant, immunity)
- Spirulina has 375% more protein than tofu (building block for muscle tissue, necessary in diet)
- Over 200 scientific studies have been done showing potential health benefits of Spirulina
Wouldn't it be great to say you ate all your vegetables today?
Spirulina supplies you with more concentrated vegetable nutrition than any other whole food.
Spirulina is a single-celled freshwater algae and an incredible source of nutrients. It provides generous amounts of Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B-12, Iron and Chlorophyll. Spirulina also provides RNA, DNA and important GLA fatty acids.
Now's product is 100% Natural Hawaiian Spirulina grown and produced by Cyanotech. For more information on the production of Hawaiian Spirulina, click here.
Oxidation and Free-Radical Damage...
Causes damage to DNA and cell structures caused by pollution, cigarette smoke, sunburn, radiation, exercise, even immune function. Leads to aging and degenerative diseases Hawaiian Spirulina is exceptionally rich in antioxidants that neutralize free-radicals.
Variety of Antioxidants in Hawaiian Spirulina
- Oil Soluble: Carotenoids
– Beta Carotene
- Water Soluble: Phycocyanin
- Enzymes: Super Oxide Dismutase
- Other foods may have one or two antioxidants—Hawaiian Spirulina has many
Hawaiian Spirulina supplies a rainbow of vital antioxidants (shown in actual colors)
- Phycocyanin (antioxidant for liver and kidney health, very hard to find in foods)
- Chlorophyll (anti-toxin, anti-carcinogen)
- Zeaxanthin (antioxidant for the eyes and brain)
- Beta carotene (antioxidant for skin, eyes, immune system, safe source of vitamin A)
Phycocyanin protects the liver and kidneys from toxins
- Phycocyanin is a water soluble antioxidant that gives Spirulina its blue tint
- Japanese studies show that phycocyanin helps and protects the liver and kidneys.
Zeaxanthin protects our eyes as we age
- The leading cause of blindness in older adults is called macular degeneration (AMD).
- Foods rich in Zeaxanthin may help prevent AMD.
Just 6 tablets or 3g of powder provide the amount of zeaxanthin in a bowl of spinach, one of the richest vegetable sources.
Anti-viral and Immune Support
- Japanese scientists discovered an anti-viral compound in Spirulina called Calcium Spirulan
- Calcium Spirulan was found to be active against numerous viruses, including influenza, herpes, and HIV.
- Research shows Spirulina increases immunity
| || |
Cyanotech's Hawaiian Spirulina Production and Quality Control
1. Deep Ocean Resource
Hawaiian Spirulina is the only cultured microalgae grown with ultra pure deep ocean water as a source of minerals and trace elements. The deep ocean water is pumped up from a depth of 2000 feet, supplying magnesium, calcium, and every trace element. This unique resource is also used in our drying system see ocean chill drying.
2. Growing Ponds
|Hawaiian Spirulina thrives in shallow ponds adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. Gentle stirring by paddle wheels assures perfect exposure to the intense Hawaiian sun. The growing medium employs a mixture of fresh water and mineral-rich deep ocean water in a base of food-grade baking soda. This managed growing system assures a contamination-free, consistently superior nutritional profile. |
3. Seperation Screens
|We meticulously wash Hawaiian Spirulina over stainless steel screens. Using a pollution-free, 100% recycled process, we return all the pond water to the growing ponds for the next growing cycle. |
4. Vacuum Washing System
|Prior to drying, we rinse Hawaiian Spirulina three times. Numerous fresh water rinses give Hawaiian Spirulina a mild, salt-free taste. |
5. Ocean Chill Drying
|We developed Ocean Chill Drying especially to eliminate the oxidation of carotenes and fatty acids that occurs in standard dryers. The process employs a closed system which is kept at less than one percent oxygen by flushing with nitrogen and carbon dioxide. We have patented this process, which relies on very cold deep ocean water to provide dehumidification. This process is unique to Hawaiian Spirulina. |
6. Finishing Powder
|The dried powder is immediately protected from oxidation. Using a process we pioneered, oxygen absorbers are enclosed in heat-sealed, metal-lined drums. This method of packaging assures that our customers receive Spirulina that is essentially as fresh as the day it was harvested. |
7 Cold Compression Tabletting
(Not for the powdered products of course)
|Tabletting Spirulina provides challenges because of the fine, dusty particle size. Commercial tabletters often solve this problem using a heat process called granulation which can degrade nutrients. We built an advanced tabletting facility specifically for Spirulina, enabling us to make tablets with a cold compression technique. |
8. Extensive Quality Analysis
|Each batch of Spirulina (three per day) undergoes a battery of microbiology tests. We operate a food microbiology laboratory at our production facility to assure we meet the strictest good manufacturing practices (GMP.) |